It's been forever since I posted a recipe on here, unintentionally so. A lot of the time I forget to take notes while cooking, making it harder to write a proper recipe but this time, I did! I've been in Orlando on a very much needed getaway for the past week and if you know me well enough, you know Orlando is one of my favorite cities! It really does feel like home away from home. Being here and getting immersed in the rich latino culture Orlando has to offer, I was inspired to try out Mexican food in deciding what cuisine to explore. I ended up making some nachos and empanadas and with the nachos, I added good ol' plantains to inject a bit of a Nigerian flair to the flavor and it was DELICIOUS! I try not to overly hype up recipes I enjoy because I know how subjective taste in food is, but honestly, if you love plantains and nachos as much as I do, you have to give this recipe a try!
- Preheat your oven by setting it to broil at 400 degrees.
- Meal prep. Thinly slice your plantains, chop up your spring and yellow onions.
- Brown the meat by lightly frying it in olive oil
- Once the meat is completely brown, add in the onions and spread it evenly. Add in two maggi cubes, salt, pepper and adobo. Let the meat cook for 15 mins of low-med heat.
- While the meat is cooking, deep fry the sliced plantains in olive oil (or whatever type of oil you have) until they're golden brown.
- Once the meat is done cooking, add in the kidney beans, and the re-fried beans. Mix, mix, mix! Let everything sit in for 15 mins.
- Place the tortilla chips in the baking pan.
- Spread the ground beef and beans mix over the chips evenly.
- Spread the fried plantains to make for the next layer.
- Spread the spring onions next.
- Spread some salsa over the spring onions.
- Spread the cheese to make for the final layer. Be sure to spread it evenly and get it in the corners of the pan.
- Place the pan in the oven, and allow it sit for 15 mins, until all the cheese has melted.
- Let cool and serve. :)
And there you have it! I'd love to know how it goes if you decide to try it or have any suggestions, so please leave a comment below! x